Tim in Georgia

This is a blog to chronicle my experiences in the Republic of Georgia as a Peace Corps TEFL volunteer. *The views expressed herein are mine and are not necessarily those of the Peace Corps or the US Government.*

07 May 2006

What? I'm leaving when?

No, my departure date hasn't changed, but gosh, it's coming up quick. I don't think I'm nearly as stressed as I should be about it - and not to mention how much more prepared I should be. But, I am heeding the advice of many of the volunteers who are currently in Georgia who say to spend your last month or so with friends and family, and to worry about learning the language, etc once I arrive in T'bilisi. Hopefully that is sound advice, since I seem to be abiding by it exclusively.

I've started saying some goodbyes already, which is a bit soon, I think. It's also making me really consider just how near my Georgian adventure is. So, on that note...if anyone reading this is going to be in Philadelphia (or within driveable distance of the same) on June 13 or 14th (not sure which night, if not both, I may be availible for a final night out with friends), hopefully I can postpone goodbyes until then. That might ease things a bit, I hope.

I received the handbook written by current PCVs in Georgia about two weeks ago...it's extremely interesting and extraordinarily informative. Also, it's easy to burn, so if you want a copy, let me know. It could give you a better idea of what exactly I'll be doing when I am there.

For the people at W&M, try to pick up a copy of the May issue of the Dog Street Journal. They did a feature on four seniors who are (in their opinion, anyway) doing something interesting after graduation. Along with an interview with me, there are also interviews with people doing Teach for America, Fulbright Scholarship stuff in China, and something else that I can't remember. Apparently the fourth person just isn't as interesting as the other three of us. For those of you not fortunate enough to currently reside in Williamsburg, a copy of the issue should be available online shortly. I'll try to remember to post the address when it becomes available.

Now it's time for the first installment of Fun With the Georgian Language. Mainly, this means that I am confused. Very confused. For example, this installment features the Georgian equivalant of "father" and some unfortunate names for laundry detergent. This must seem so interesting to everyone else, but I know you have nothing better to do, and for that I apologize.

So, "father" in Georgian is "mama." Luckily, Georgian doesn't have gender pronouns, or else I'd be hopelessly confused.

Also, one of the leading brands of laundry detergent in Georgia is called Barf. Want to clean your clothes? Be sure to soak them in Barf before washing.

Finally, I graduate in 8 days. Some Georgian wine is an appropriate surprise gift. But please, no chacha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home