Tim in Georgia

This is a blog to chronicle my experiences in the Republic of Georgia as a Peace Corps TEFL volunteer. *The views expressed herein are mine and are not necessarily those of the Peace Corps or the US Government.*

06 August 2006

Uncle Joe

I went to the Stalin Museum in Gori today. Stalin's childhood home is located right in front of the museum, located under a 1930's era Italian encasement/pavillion. Behind Stalin's house is a very large museum devoted to his life.

Well, it's devoted to part of his life, anyway. Large parts of history were omitted (read: the parts that might not have reflected the "good side" of Gori's native son). Also, we saw Stalin's death mask, and an accordian given to him for the occasion of his 70th birthday in 1949. There was lots of other cool Stalin perephernalia there, but apparently it wasn't as memorable as the accordian.

Training is winding down, I guess. Just 1.5 more weeks of language and then swearing in followed by whisking away to Gonio to start not teaching. The school is under some pretty intense renovations and I doubt school will be able to start before October. But maybe Georgian constructions go at a different pace than those in America.

Unfortunately I was not expecting to be at the internet today, so I don't have any pictures with me to post...but maybe next time. I have a bunch of really cool ones for when I have the time.



Tim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home